Still can’t live without your straightening iron? Once you know how to achieve that sleek, smooth look it’s hard to go back. It really doesnt matter which flat iron you use: ceramic, thermal, metal or ionic – they all damage your hair with over-use and inappropriate use. They heat keeps your hair dry and over time will damage the ends of your hair.
Here are 10 tips to help you and your flat iron work side-by-side without damaging your hair.
1. Keep your flat iron clean. It will last longer and do less damage to your hair.
2. Use a styling aid (one that is a heat protective) to prevent frizz before you blow dry.
3. Practice before you head out to any major event. It’s very easy to do once you get used to it.
4. Part your hair into sections from the bottom up. Use small sections. The smaller the section the flatter and more weightless your hair will be.
5. Spray each section with a heat protective spray before you iron and comb through. Ask tour hairstylist what prpoduct is best for you.
6. Use even pressure while stroking your flat iron from the root to the end without stopping on any part of the sectioned hair.
7. Use a wide bristle brush on your hair while brushing your desired shape into place.
8. Use a lightweight serum to smooth any frizz left over. You’ll only need a little.
9. Do not iron all of your hair everyday . If you need to touch it up in the front that is ok ,just spray with your heat protective spray,but this style just last you a few days: if done properly. The goal here is to keep your hair healthy.
10. Get a deep conditioning treatment twice a month. If you are ironing weekly then once a week. Redken chemistry shots are a great reparative treatment.